The City Council of the City of Rainbow City, Alabama, met in regular session at City Hall at 6:00 p.m., and upon roll call by the City Clerk, Barbara T. Wester, the following members answered present: Mayor, Terry John Calhoun; Council members: Anita Bedwell, Bobby McCartney, Tim Ramsey, and Rick Hill. Absent: Larry Keenum. The same constituting a quorum of the City Council, the following business was transacted. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Calhoun. Invocation was given by Kenneth Payne. Mayor Calhoun led the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag.
- Mayor Calhoun presented Ordinance No. 503, the rezoning of the property of Billy S. Summerlin on Steele Station Road, consisting of eight (8) acres. This is a conditional use permit, and the zoning will change from Highway Commercial to R-2, Patio & Townhouse District. Tim Ramsey made a motion to adopt the ordinance. Anita Bedwell seconded the motion. Mayor Calhoun asked for a roll call vote as follows: Anita Bedwell, yes; Bobby McCartney, yes; Tim Ramsey, yes; and Rick Hill, yes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun declared this week as National Music Week, and the month of May as Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month.
- Mayor Calhoun stated Chief Carroll recommends the promotion of Officer Philip Braswell to the rank of Sergeant, at a pay rate of $13.50 per hour, and Detective Bryan Rush the rank of Sergeant, at a pay rate of $13.50 per hour. They will receive 25 cents every three (3) months during their one-year probationary period. The rate of pay will be $14.50 an hour at the end of the year. Rick Hill made a motion to this effect. Tim Ramsey seconded the motion. Mayor Calhoun stated all in favor say aye. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun announced that two (2) police cars were sold on govdeals.com for
$l, 650.00, and $3,800.00. He then stated Chief Carroll wants to transfer $5,500.00 from account 430-190 (fuel) to 430-260 (equipment). Rick Hill made a motion to this effect. Anita Bedwell seconded the motion. Mayor Calhoun stated all in favor say aye. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun announced that last Saturday was clean-up day in the City. He thanked everyone who helped, and said 411 bags of trash were picked up, and 129 people participated. The big winner was Troop 92 Boy Scouts, and they collected 156 bags, and second place winner was Riddles Bend Baptist Church with 56 bags. The Etowah County Sheriff’s Department also helped on Sutton Bridge Road and Rainbow Drive. Rick Hill thanked Kenneth Payne and everyone who helped. Anita Bedwell also thanked everyone who helped.
There being no further business to come before the Council at this time, Anita Bedwell made a motion to adjourn.
Time adjourned: 6:20 p.m.
Barbara T. Wester, City Clerk/Treasurer
Terry John Calhoun, Mayor