The City Council of the City of Rainbow City, Alabama, met in regular session at City Hall at 6:00 p.m., and upon roll call by Beth Lee, acting City Clerk/Treasurer the following members answered present: Mayor Terry John Calhoun, Council members: Anita Bedwell, Bobby McCartney, Tim Ramsey, Larry Keenum and Rick Hill.
The same constituting a quorum of the City Council, the following business was transacted. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Terry John Calhoun. Invocation was given by Anita Bedwell. Mayor Calhoun led the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the minutes of December 9, 2013 for review and asked if there were any corrections, additions, or deletions. There being none, Anita Bedwell moved and Tim Ramsey seconded the motion to approve the minutes as presented. Mayor Calhoun stated all in favor say aye. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun said that Item 12 of the minutes of December 9, 2013 concerning the lighting of the parking lot at the Vivian Lee Maddox Sports Complex was tabled. Mayor Calhoun asked the Council what they would like to do with this. Anita Bedwell made a motion to take it off the table and Larry Keenum seconded the motion. Mayor Calhoun stated 2 proposals had been received from A&S and Butler Electrical. Discussion followed. Died for lack of a motion.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the bid for the 2013 Ford Police Interceptor from Ronnie Watkins Ford for $20,000.00. Only one bid was received and opened on December 23, 2013. Discussion followed. Larry Keenum made a motion to table the bid until the cost of additions could be determined. Rick Hill seconded the motion. Mayor asked the clerk to call the roll: Anita Bedwell – Yes
Bobby McCartney – Yes
Tim Ramsey – Yes
Larry Keenum – Yes
Rick Hill – Yes
Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented Resolution No. 14-01 declaring a Nuisance Abatement of The Redfield Group, Inc. 2810 Rainbow Drive. The cost of abating the nuisance is $625.00. Discussion followed. Anita Bedwell moved and Bobby McCartney seconded the motion to approve the Resolution. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun announced the hiring of two (2) Library employees. Randa Tolbert starts on January 17, 2014 at $7.50 per hour and Vicki Formby starts on January 10, 2014 at $7.50 per hour.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a letter of resignation from Fanell Williams who worked in the Community Center. Her last day is January 10, 2014.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the following departmental reports: Library, Building, Police, Fire Departments, and Community Center. No discussion.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a list of surplus items from the Building Department:
Brothers MFC-9120CN printer (TN-210 Series)
Lexmark Printer-Optra T610 (does not work)
Canon Plotter Image PROGRAF I PF700 Printer (needs pinhead & does not work)
Larry Keenum made a motion to approve the above items to be surplused. Rick Hill seconded the motion. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a request for an ad from The Messenger-Progress ’14 Business Health/Wellness Education, Government. Died for lack of a motion.
- Mayor Calhoun announced the 2014 Severe Weather Preparedness Tax Holiday for February 21-23, 2014. Larry Keenum made a motion to participate and Anita Bedwell seconded the motion. The deadline for us to notify the state is January 21, 2014. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun was pleased to announce that the 2013 “Toys Under the Rainbow” program benefited 30 families and a total of 63 children.
- Mayor Calhoun presented The Chamber Annual Meeting dinner scheduled for January 24, 2014. A table for 8 costs $350.00. Tim Ramsey made a motion to purchase a table and Anita Bedwell seconded the motion. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun announced that City Hall will be closed on Monday, January 21, 2014 in observance of MLK Day. Garbage service will not be interrupted during that week.
- Mayor Calhoun made a request of a street light to be placed at the pump station in Seven Oakes. Bobby McCartney made a motion to have the street light installed. Larry Keenum seconded the motion. All ayes. Mayor declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun announced that he had approved for Officer Justin McGlaughn to attend “Five Stages of Interview & Interrogation Techniques” in Birmingham on May 7-9, 2014. The cost is $295.00 no lodging fees.
- Rick Hill acknowledged Captain Chase Jenkins who then made a request to the Council to repost the Police Officer position. Few applications were received from the previous posting and wanted the opportunity to repost. Rick Hill made the motion to post the position for 10 days ending January 27, 2014. Tim Ramsey seconded the motion. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Bobby McCartney acknowledge Eddie Cline, Recreation Director, and all the Recreation Department on the great job painting the gym at the Recreation Center.
- A recommendation was made from the audience to have a consistent speed limit on Steele Station Road. Mayor Calhoun said he would ask the Police Chief to look at this and then make a recommendation to the County in the form of a letter for this request.
There being no further business to come before the Council at this time, Larry Keenum made a motion to adjourn.
Time adjourned: 6:15 p.m.
Beth Lee, Acting City Clerk/Treasurer
Terry John Calhoun, Mayor