The City Council of the City of Rainbow City, Alabama, met in regular session at City Hall at 6:00 p.m., and upon roll call by Beth Lee, acting City Clerk, the following members answered present: Mayor Terry John Calhoun, Council members: Anita Bedwell, Bobby McCartney, Tim Ramsey, Larry Keenum-absent and Rick Hill. The same constituting a quorum of the City Council, the following business was transacted.
The meeting was called to order by Mayor Terry John Calhoun. Invocation was given by Bobby McCartney. Mayor Calhoun led the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the minutes of July 14, 2014 for review and asked if there were any corrections, additions, or deletions. There being none, Tim Ramsey moved and Rick Hill seconded the motion to approve the minutes as presented. Mayor Calhoun stated all in favor say aye. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun said that Item 7 of the minutes from July 14, 2014 concerning the request from WHMA, Anniston Radio Station AM 1390 to purchase ads to support our troops. Rick Hill made a motion to take it off the table and Anita Bedwell seconded the motion. Request died for lack of a motion.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a request from Chief Carroll to surplus the 2007 Chevrolet Impala, Serial #6492 and accept sealed bids on the 2004 Ford Crown Vic, Serial #9708 which was surplused April 25, 2011 and the 2006 Chevrolet, Serial #4366 which was surplused May 14, 2012. Rick Hill moved and Tim Ramsey seconded the motion to accept sealed bids on each of the three (3) vehicles on August 11, 2014 at 5:30 p.m. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun announced the following items to be surplused in Administration: Canon Calculator-broken, number MP25DV; Sharp Calculator-broken, number QS-1660; Intel Tower-broken; 2-APC Battery Backups-do not work, number BE450G & BE500U; 1-Think Pad Laptop, product ID 8934F9U from the Court Office. Bobby McCartney moved and Anita Bedwell seconded the motion to surplus these items and accept sealed bids to be opened on August 11, 2014 at 5:30 p.m. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the surplus list from the City Shop:
- Old Police Radios, Lights, and Misc.
- 276 Bush Hog (12-05999)-Broken
- LF Model 8-10 Sprayer (3937)-Old Mosquito Sprayer
- Chevy 3500 Mechanic Truck-VIN 1GBGC34KXJE175738
- 1984 Chevrolet Dump Truck-VIN 1GBK70183EV116674
- 1984 Chevrolet Dump Truck (Water Truck)-VIN 1GBK70187EV115172
- 190C Cut Tach & Bracket
- Goldster Microwave (Sept. 1991)-10901750
- Old Police Lights (2)
Rick Hill moved and Tim Ramsey seconded the motion to approve these items surplus. Items 1, 2, and 3 will be placed on govdeals.com and sealed bids will be opened on August 11, 2014 at 5:30 p.m. for each separate item listed except Items 1, 2, and 3. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented Resolution No. 14-06 declaring an Assessment of Nuisance Abatement of Regions Bank 103 Sherwood Drive. The cost of abating the nuisance is $1,577.50. Discussion followed. Anita Bedwell moved and Bobby McCartney seconded the motion to approve the Resolution. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a Budget Revision Request from Eddie Cline for the Recreation Department to increase Account Number 470-105 Salaries-Overtime in the amount of $5,000.00 and decrease Account Number 470-115 Salaries-Part Time in the amount of $5,000.00. Rick Hill moved and Anita Bedwell seconded the motion to approve the request. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a quote from Doyle Restoration, Inc. to repair the leaking skylight in the mall area between the Community Center and Library in the amount of $4,975.00. The joints will be cleaned, packed if necessary and re-caulked as well as remove the existing sealant material at the juncture of all glass to metal and will have a 10-year guarantee. Anita Bedwell moved and Rick Hill seconded the motion. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun discussed a proposal between the Utility Board and the City regarding the City utilizing their employee, Jason Minshew (Surveyor), for surveying work needed by the City at the rate of $35 per hour or any portion thereof. Bobby McCartney moved and Tim Ramsey seconded the motion to use Jason Minshew as needed in coordination with Steven Chaviers, who is in charge of Jason’s work schedule. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun recognized and welcomed the Boy Scout troop in attendance. The Scouts were observing tonight’s council meeting.
- Mayor Calhoun opened the floor to any comments from the audience. Loyd Barnard, Jr. wanted to thank Kenneth Payne, Greg Payne, and Eddie Cline for their generous donation of sick time during his recent illness. Kenneth Payne commented on how nice the Riddles Bend area looked. Mayor Calhoun commented on the coyote problem in the Lumley Road area and for everyone to be cautious.
There being no further business to come before the Council at this time, Anita Bedwell made a motion to adjourn.
Time adjourned: 6:27 p.m.
Beth Lee, Acting City Clerk/Treasurer
Terry John Calhoun, Mayor