The City Council of the City of Rainbow City, Alabama, met in regular session at City Hall at 6:30 p.m., and upon roll call by the City Clerk, Barbara T. Wester, the following members answered present:
Terry John Calhoun, Mayor
The same constituting a quorum of the City Council, the following business was transacted.
- The meeting was called to order by Mayor Calhoun.
- Invocation was given by Bryan Stone.
- Mayor Calhoun led the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the minutes of July 28, 2008 for review and asked if there were any corrections, additions, or deletions. There being none, Bryan Stone moved
and Cora Kelly seconded the motion to approve the minutes as presented. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun read a proclamation to Eric Turner who just returned from Iraq, proclaiming August 11, 2008 as “Eric Paul Turner” Day in Rainbow City, for his dedication, accomplishments and personal sacrifices for his country and community.
- Mayor Calhoun stated this is the second public hearing for ordinance No. 456 to rezone approximately five (5) acres of land located on Riddles’ Bend Road from Agricultural District to R-1, Single Family Residential District. Cody Owens hopes to subdivide the property in the future according to the zoning requirements. Mayor Calhoun asked if there is anyone who would like to speak for or against the ordinance.
He stated if there are no objections, he entertained a motion to adopt this ordinance. Bryan Stone made a motion to adopt the ordinance and it was seconded by Lloyd Matthews. Mayor Calhoun asked for a roll call vote:
Cora Kelly yes
Bobby McCartney yes
Lloyd Matthews yes
Bryan Stone yes
Kris Cornutt yes
Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun stated that one bid was received for the replacement of all piers and the walking bridge at Rainbow Landing. Rodriquex Home Builders, LLC has a bid of $43,500.00 for treated yellow wood decking and guardrail and a bid of $78,200.00 for composite decking and treated yellow wood guardrail. Bobby McCartney stated that his committee met and discussed the bid and he made a motion to accept the bid of $43,500.00. Cora Kelly seconded the bid. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun stated no bids were received for the lighting at the Vivian Lee Maddox Sports Complex; therefore, the City with get with the City Attorney and negotiate a bid.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a recommendation from Tina Brooks, Librarian to reappoint Debbie Hiltz to the Library Board for another four (4) year term, expiring August 14, 2012. Bobby McCartney made a motion to reappoint Debbie to the board. Kris Cornutt seconded the motion. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a request from the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame Championship for $500.00 to benefit the State of Alabama Sports Hall of Fame Foundation. Bobby McCartney made a motion to give the $500.00. Bryan Stone seconded the motion. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a request from Greg Payne, Street & Sanitation Supervisor to surplus the following vehicle in his department:
One 1993 Ford F150 4 X 4, serial #5945
Lloyd Matthews moved and Kris Cornutt seconded the motion to surplus the vehicle and put on govdeals.com to sale. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun stated the budgets are in, and the Committees need to meet and give the final budgets to him by September 2, 2008 so he can get the budgets finalized for the physical year.
- Mayor Calhoun stated everyone has a copy of the monthly reports and asked if anyone has any comments. Discussion followed.
- Lloyd Matthews stated he discussed the number of dispatchers working at any one time with the Chief, and would like to get the committee together to discuss this. Discussion followed.
- Kris Cornutt stated 392 t-shirts and certificates were given out for the Summer Reading Program. (15 books had to be read) This covered six (6) different cities and over a dozen schools. He also stated he would like to ask that all citizens watch what they are putting in their garbage. A spray bottle of paint exploded recently. Kris stated that Ricky Duncan has completed his six (6) month probation, and he would like to bring him up to level pay, effective the 22nd of August pay period. Lloyd Matthews seconded the motion. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Cora Kelly asked that everyone keep Charles Bell, a former police officer in their prayers. Mayor Calhoun stated that Deborah Franklin gave Chief Ragan a request to extend her family leave as to the time she is not needed. The Council all agreed for her to extend her leave.
- Terry Smith asked the Council if there is going to be a meeting August 25, due to the City Election the next day. Discussion followed. Bryan Stone moved and Bobby McCartney seconded the meeting to cancel the Council Meeting on August 25. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
There being no further business to come before the Council at this time, Bryan Stone made a motion to adjourn.
Time Adjourned: 6:50 p.m.
Barbara T. Wester, City Clerk/Treasurer
Terry John Calhoun, Mayor