The City Council of the City of Rainbow City, Alabama, met in regular session at City Hall at 6:30 p.m., and upon roll call by the City Clerk, Barbara T. Wester, the following members answered present:
Terry John Calhoun, Mayor
The same constituting a quorum of the City Council, the following business was transacted.
- The meeting was called to order by Mayor Calhoun.
- Invocation was given by Bryan Stone.
- Mayor Calhoun led the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the minutes of January 28, 2008 and February 4, 2008 for review and asked if there were any corrections, additions, or deletions. There being none, Bobby McCartney moved and Bryan Stone seconded the motion to approve the minutes as presented. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun stated the clerk opened bids at 2:00 p.m., for the Radio Dispatch Control System for the Police and Fire Department. Three bids were sent out, but only one bid was received from McCord Communication in the amount of $19,065.32. Cora Kelly moved and Bryan Stone seconded the motion to accept the bid. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a request from Chief Ragan to use $4,387.35 that was designated by the Police Department for the training facility, along with $l,453.65 from the SWAT account, totaling $6,04l.00 to purchase new duty handguns. Cora Kelly moved and Lloyd Matthews seconded the motion approve the request. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried. Lloyd also stated that the chief was trading all the guns in and getting a good price for them.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the monthly departmental reports, and asked the council if they had any comments, and if not, let the records show the reports were received.
- Mayor Calhoun recognized Linda Bagley Barrett. Ms. Barrett stated she was running for the position of Etowah County Revenue Commissioner, and would appreciate any help or support given to her.
- Mayor Calhoun stated that the City needs to name the new Industrial Park, and asked the Council to try to come up with a name as soon as possible.
- Bobby McCartney moved and Cora Kelly seconded the motion to approve a change order outlining the concrete layout plan for the Vivian Lee Maddox Sports Complex. The plan submitted by McCartney has been approved by the Recreation Committee. Discussion followed. Cost of the change is to be determined. Lloyd Matthews moved to table the motion. Seconded by Kris Cornutt. The motion to table failed on a voice vote. Mayor Calhoun then called for a roll call vote on the original motion.
Cora Kelly yes
Bobby McCartney yes
Lloyd Matthews no
Bryan Stone yes
Kris Cornutt no
Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Bobby McCartney moved and Bryan Stone seconded the motion to send out bids to tie into the city sewer system and open bids February 25, 2008 at 6:00 p.m. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
There being no further business to come before the Council at this time, Bryan Stone made a motion to adjourn.
Time Adjourned: 6:45 p.m.
Barbara T. Wester, City Clerk/Treasurer
frTerry John Calhoun, Mayor