The City Council of the City of Rainbow City, Alabama, met in regular session at City Hall at 6:30 p.m., and upon roll call by the City Clerk, Barbara T. Wester, the following members answered present:
Terry John Calhoun, Mayor
The same constituting a quorum of the City Council, the following business was transacted.
- The meeting was called to order by Mayor Calhoun.
- Invocation was given by Representative Blaine Galliher.
- Mayor Calhoun led the pledge of allegiance to the flag.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the minutes of February 11, 2008 for review and asked if there were any corrections, additions or deletions. There being none, Kris Cornutt moved and Bryan Stone seconded the motion to approve the minutes as presented. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Kris Cornutt announced that we have special guests tonight. He thanked Mr. Farris Hall and his Government Class from Westbrook School, and told them how glad he was that they were attending this meeting.
- Mayor Calhoun stated we had the Red Cross Blood Drive February 19 and 28 people gave. Fourteen employees signed up and eleven gave.
- Mayor Calhoun stated Bobby Welch construction had an alternative bid for concrete paving for the Vivian Lee Maddox Sports Complex in the amount of $l05,000.00, and cut the bid to $79,000.00. The concrete was cut from 6 inches to 4 inches, except 6 inches at the 12’ X 200 foot entry. Discussion followed.
- Mayor Calhoun introduced Senator Larry Means and Representative Blaine Galliher. Blaine stated the City would be getting $l00,000.00 from the Recreational Trail Grant. He stated Jon Strickland was over this grant, and was very impressed with the new complex. Mayor Calhoun thanked them for all their support.
- Mayor Calhoun stated the Boy Scout Cabin needed cleaning and he would like to amend the contract for Monica to clean every Friday for an additional $l00.00 per month.
Lloyd Matthews moved and Kris Cornutt seconded the motion to amend the cleaning contract. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun stated that Kellis Vegetation Management, Inc. sprays for weed control all over the State, and he would like to have them spray for the City. The cost for the first year is $2,000.00. Lloyd Matthews moved and Kris Cornutt seconded the motion to use them on a year’s trial basis. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun asked that the minutes show that Fireman Randy Phillips will retire April l, 2008. He stated he has been with the city for 25 years and has done a good job. He also stated that Fireman Paul Bonds resigned February 22, 2008, and he has also done a good job at the City.
- Mayor Calhoun stated that Chief Potter recommended posting two firefighter/paramedic positions, and close the posting March 7, 2008. Cora Kelly moved and Lloyd Matthews seconded the motion to post the two positions. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the following items to be declared as surplus:
Accounts Payable: one sharp calculator, EL02630P III, 12 digit, display only works. Fellowes Powershreder, broken.
Revenue Clerk: one HP Officejet D 135 Combo, Serial #SG20BD1095, broken.
Court Clerk: one APC Smart-UPS Battery Backup, Model #SU700NET, Serial
Number QS0234130884, broken.
Kris Cornutt moved and Bryan Stone seconded the motion to surplus the items. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Larry Murray announced that the Easter Egg Hunt has been rescheduled to March 22, 2008. He also asked if the City could give money to help purchase items for the hunt. Kris Cornutt moved and Lloyd Matthews seconded the motion to give the Mayor the authority to get with Larry and determine the amount the City can spend on the Easter Egg Hunt. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun stated that the City has four (4) major sponsors for Family Night, May 9, 2008. They are Dave Menegay Hyundai, Inc., Comcast Cable, Bobby Welch Construction and Builder’s Supply. He said the Lions Club said everything is going good. He also stated the Chocolate Festival is April 5, 2008.
- Lloyd Matthews stated he wanted to thank Randy and Paul for their good service to the City. Both were very good employees.
- Kris Cornutt moved and Lloyd Matthews seconded the motion to hire Ricky Duncan at $l0.50 per hour in the Sanitation Department. He will have to obtain his CDL license and will be on probation for 90 days. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Kris stated he would like to remind everyone to be careful going up and down the city streets, especially Walker Drive. Eight ball fields are located there.
- Bobby McCartney stated Wiley came down with the flu, so the bid opening for the sewer for the Vivian Lee Maddox Sports Complex will be March 10, 2008 at 6:00 p.m.
He announced that the Community Center served 1,217 people in January of 2007 and l,416 in January of 2008. He also stated that the new sound system is in at the Community Center and thanked Blaine Galliher for his help in obtaining it.
- Lloyd Matthews inquired about the status of job evaluations. Discussion followed.
There being no further business to come before the Council at this time, Bryan Stone made a motion to adjourn.
Time Adjourned: 7:15 p.m.
Barbara T. Wester, City Clerk/Treasurer
Terry John Calhoun, Mayor