The City Council of the City of Rainbow City, Alabama, met in regular session at City Hall at 6:30 p.m., and upon roll call by the City Clerk, Barbara T. Wester, the following
members answered present:
Terry John Calhoun, Mayor
Cora Kelly, absent
The same constituting a quorum of the City Council, the following business was transacted.
- The meeting was called to order by Mayor Calhoun.
- Invocation was given by Bobby McCartney.
- Mayor Calhoun led the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the minutes of June 9, 2008 for review and asked if there were any corrections, additions, or deletions. There being none, Bryan Stone moved and Bobby McCartney seconded the motion to approve the minutes as presented. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a recommendation from Chief Ragan to increase the Capital Outlay Account (0l-430-400) of the budget with $20,000.00 by moving that amount from the Municipal Court’s Fines Account (01-350-320). Funds will be used to purchase a 2008 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, and to increase the Capital Outlay Account (01-430-400) of the budget with $21,450.00 by moving that amount from the Municipal Court’s Fines Account (01-350-320). Funds will be used to purchase a 2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor. This vehicle will replace Car #16, Serial #9719, which was totaled in a car chase. The District Attorney’s Office will be seeking restitution. Bryan Stone moved and Kris Cornutt seconded the motion to adopt Chief Ragan’s recommendations for the budget. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented Resolution No. 08-06 to mandate that all employees in the Sanitation and Street Department obtain a commercial driver’s license. Died for lack of a motion.
- Mayor Calhoun presented Resolution No. 08-07 to appoint Barbara Wester, City Clerk/Treasurer as Election Officer to handle the duties and responsibilities for the Municipal Election August 26, 2008 and runoff election, if necessary, October 7, 2008. Kris Cornutt moved and Bryan Stone seconded the motion to adopt the resolution. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented Resolution No. 08-08 to amend the employee handbook, Section 4-Annual Leave (Vacation, section a), sub paragraphs 1-4. Died for lack of a motion.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a request from the Librarian, Tina Brooks to increase the Capital Outlay (460-400) for the library budget to $9,125.00. The Etowah County Library Committee Grant for this was received June 19, 2008. Kris Cornutt stated that this is an annual grant from the Library Committee, and four new computers will be purchased. The software the library is using now has failed constantly and put a burden on the library staff. Kris moved and Lloyd Matthews seconded the motion to adopt Tina’s recommendation to the budget. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun stated the bid was ready to be awarded for the Recreation Trail at the Vivian Lee Maddox Sports Complex. Only one bid was received. J & D Enterprises, LLC has a bid of $l55,574.00. He stated he also needed the authority to sign the contract.
Bobby McCartney moved and Bryan Stone seconded the motion to award the bid. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Lloyd Matthews commended Harvey Fail for the work with the flowers he has planted.
- Kris Cornutt stated Lumley Road looked good today after it was cut. He also stated the Summer Reading Program has over 500 kids registered. He commended Tina and her staff for a job well done. He stated he wanted to congratulate Chase Jenkins and the Swat Team for the good article that was in the Gadsden Times today.
- Lloyd Matthews commended Dustin Vice and Vinson Dupree
for graduating from the Firemen’s Academy this past Friday.
- Mayor Calhoun stated the minimum wage increases to $6.55 per hour in July, and we have two (2) employees that will need to have their pay adjusted. They are Jaime Pickle Jones and Jan Anders. Lloyd Matthews moved and Bobby McCartney seconded the motion to adjust their pay effective July l, 2008. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun stated that garbage pickup starting June 30 will be at 6:00 a.m. and go through August. He also stated the windows were cleaned inside and out at City Hall, Library, Community Center and the W. T. Vinyard Building at the Park by Ideal Window Cleaning for a total of $ 1900.00. He announced the American Red Cross Blood Drive will be held this Friday, June 27, from 10:00 a.m. through 3:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers.
- Mayor Calhoun discussed Rainbow City partnering with Southside on the girl’s softball field. They need to put up a lighting system. Southside will match whatever we do.
- Mayor Calhoun stated he went Friday Night, June 20, to Birmingham to the Police Program and five officers were given awards.
There being no further business to come before the Council at this time, Bryan Stone made a motion to adjourn.
Time Adjourned: 7:00 p.m.
Barbara T. Wester, City Clerk/Treasurer
Terry John Calhoun, Mayor