The City Council of the City of Rainbow City, Alabama, met in regular session at City Hall at 6:00 p.m., and upon roll call by the City Clerk, Barbara T. Wester, the following members answered present: Mayor, Terry John Calhoun; Council members, Anita Bedwell, Bobby McCartney, Tim Ramsey, Larry Keenum, and Rick Hill. The same constituting a quorum of the City Council, the following business was transacted. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Calhoun. Invocation was given by Larry Keenum. Mayor Calhoun led the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the minutes of June 10, 2013 for review, and asked if there were any corrections, additions, or deletions. There being none, Larry Keenum made a motion to approve the minutes as presented. Rick Hill seconded the motion. Mayor Calhoun stated all in favor say aye. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun introduced Ms. Phala Kircus who introduced Taylor Stephens and Chris Farmer to explain their Eagle Scout Project. Taylor will restore the gazebo located in the center of the park, and replace the wood on the rotted section of the eve as well, and make a new door piece to replace the missing one in the ceiling. He will also repaint and clean the metal gazebos. Chris Farmer will install a drainage system and a border in two (2) areas around the track and clean the existing areas. He will also landscape around the sign at the entrance of the park, and clean and paint the wooden playground equipment in the park and fill in the holes in the gravel in the play areas. Tim Ramsey made a motion to approve the project and to pay for the materials to cover the project. Bobby McCartney seconded the motion. Mayor Calhoun stated all in favor say aye. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun stated the clerk opened the bids for the items declared as surplus at the Council meeting, June 10, 2013, in the Fire and Recreation Department at 5:30 p.m. One bid was received for the two (2) Ransome mowers in the Fire Department. It was Gene Lee. He had a bid of $201.00. Three (3) bids were received for the bleachers in the Recreation Department. They are as follows: Ricky Duncan, $l0.00; David Calhoun, $50.00; and Philip Hollingsworth, $65.00. Anita Bedwell made a motion to award the bid to Philip Hollingsworth, for the highest bid. Rick Hill seconded the motion. Mayor Calhoun stated all in favor say aye. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the bids for cleaning the outside of City Hall, the Community Center and Library. This will be all the concrete, curbing and Stucco. The following contractors bid: Pruett’s Siding Cleaning, $6500.00; Wink Wash, $l4,720.00; Don and Sons High Pressure Cleaning, $18,456.00; Ideal Window Cleaning 2, $1200.00, and DBS Exterior Cleaning, $4700.00. Discussion followed. Anita Bedwell made a motion to approve the lowest bid of Ideal Window Cleaning 2. Rich Hill seconded the motion. Mayor Calhoun stated all in favor say aye. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun asked that the minutes show we had a decision on a court case on a suit against the City by Phillip Herring, and the Judge ruled in favor of the City.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the following travel/tuition:
- Detective Sgt. Gerald Lyons to attend the final two (2) courses in the Crime Scene Investigation Certificate Program’s training in Jacksonville. Cost: $198.00. No lodging. Crime Scene Practical-Indoor, August 14, 2013, and Crime Scene Practical-Outdoor, September 11, 2013.
- Officer Justin McGlaughn to attend Basic School Resource Officer training, July 22-26, 2013, in Montgomery. Cost $495.00, plus five (5) nights lodging.
Larry Keenum made a motion to approve the travel. Rick Hill seconded the motion. Mayor Calhoun asked if there was any other discussion. Tim Ramsey said he needed to talk more about the travel and lodging. He feels the City needs a checks and balance, of when the meeting starts and when it ends, when it is out of town. Mayor Calhoun asked if there is any more discussion. There being none, he stated all in favor say aye. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried. Mayor Calhoun then asked the records to show from this time on, all schools and travel agenda’s from all employees be given to him, along with the hours for the school, and number of hours needed for certification.
- Mayor Calhoun asked Harvey Fail to speak on the “Freddie Kitchen’s Football Camp.” Harvey said there were 21 coaches from Alabama and Georgia. A total of 249 kids attended, with around 75 kids being from Rainbow City. He said Freddie is in rehab in Arizona, and he is doing well.
- Tim Ramsey said at pre-council meeting Chief Potter discussed building a hanger building to house the helicopter that Air Methods parks for flight. This is on City property located at Pineview Circle. Chief Potter wants to build a 50’ X 50’ building with sliding doors to house the helicopter. Discussion followed. Tim said he would like to make a motion for the Chief to have specs drawn up for bidding a hanger building for Air Methods, and open them at the next council meeting at 5:30 p.m. Larry Keenum seconded the motion. Mayor Calhoun stated all in favor say aye. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Rick Hill discussed a letter he said he received from Sharon Coker, Lake Vista Drive. She stated she was glad the speed bumps at the stop sign located near Riddles Bend Fire Station has been removed, and hoped the City would not put them pack. Rick said the signs have been removed for repair. He said he has spoken with Sgt. Lyons, and asked him to get with the Chief, and put an officer there every morning so they can evaluate the situation. Anita Bedwell seconded the motion. Mayor Calhoun stated all in favor say aye. All ayes. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
There being no further business to come before the Council at this time, Larry Keenum made a motion to adjourn.
Time Adjourned: 6:15 p.m.
Barbara T. Wester, City Clerk/Treasurer
Terry John Calhoun, Mayor