The City Council of the City of Rainbow City, Alabama, met in regular session at City Hall at 6:30 p.m., and upon roll call by the City Clerk, Barbara T. Wester, the following
members answered present:
The same constituting a quorum of the City Council, the following business was transacted.
- The meeting was called to order by Mayor Calhoun.
- Invocation was given by Rev. Kevin Lewis, Youth Director at Life Church.
- Mayor Calhoun led the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the minutes of February 25, 2008 for review and asked if there were any corrections, additions or deletions. There being none, Bobby McCartney moved and Bryan Stone seconded the motion to approve the minutes as presented. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a request for a street light on Hill Street, Pole no. 445 and Laurel Wood Drive, Pole no. 220. Lloyd Matthews moved and Kris Cornutt seconded the motion to install the following lights. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a request in the amount of $l50.00 from Junior Achievement of Etowah County. Cora Kelly moved and Lloyd Matthews seconded the motion to approve the request. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the monthly departmental reports and asked if anyone had questions. There being none, Mayor Calhoun asked that the records show the Council received their reports.
- Mayor Calhoun presented an application from Jayesh Patel, new owner of the Corner Stop Citgo for retail table wine (off premises only) and retail beer (off premises only). Bryan Stone moved and Bobby McCartney seconded the motion to grant the request. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun stated that Police Officer Chuck Simmons resigned effective March 21, 2008. Lloyd Matthews moved and Cora Kelly seconded the motion to accept the resignation. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Cora Kelly moved and Bryan Stone seconded the motion to post the position of police officer and accept application until 3:00 p.m., March 28, 2008. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Cora Kelly moved and Lloyd Matthews seconded the motion to hire two firemen, Vinson Tyler Dupree and Dustin Tyler Vice. Both will start at $10.50 per hour. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun stated the employee handbook states employee vacation time will be calculated and scheduled based upon the date of employment. He asked the City Attorney, Jim Turnbach to draw up something that puts everyone on January l as the starting point for vacation. Cora Kelly moved and Bryan Stone seconded the motion to approve this request. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Dr. Alan Cosby stated that on behalf of Rainbow Middle School and faculty, he would like to thank the Council and City for the $3,000.00 donation.
- Lloyd Matthews stated that there had been several burglaries in the City recently, and he wanted to thank the officers for apprehending the people responsible.
- Kris Cornutt stated all the numbers at the library are up. He also spoke concerning vehicles parking in the front of K-Mart. Discussion followed.
- Bobby McCartney stated that due to sickness, bids were delayed for the sewer pump for the Vivian Lee Maddox Sports Complex, but the bids will be opened on March 24, 2008 at 6:00 p.m.
- Mayor Calhoun stated that at the Planning Commission Meeting February 26, 2008, the Board recommended the rezoning of the property located on Lumley Road for Industry. He stated the Council will probably have a public hearing for the rezoning at the last meeting in April. Discussion followed.
There being no further business to come before the Council at this time, Bryan Stone made a motion to adjourn.
Time Adjourned: 6:50 p.m.
Barbara T. Wester, City Clerk/Treasurer
Terry John Calhoun, Mayor