The City Council of the City of Rainbow City, Alabama, met in regular session at City Hall at 6:30 p.m., and upon roll call by the City Clerk, Barbara T. Wester, the following members answered present:
Terry John Calhoun, Mayor
Kris Cornutt, absent
The same constituting a quorum of the City Council, the following business was transacted.
- The meeting was called to order by Mayor Calhoun.
- Invocation was given by Reverend Randy Gunter.
- Mayor Calhoun led the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the minutes of March 10, 2008 for review and asked if there were any corrections, additions or deletions. There being none, Bryan Stone moved and Cora Kelly seconded the motion to approve the minutes as presented. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun stated a public hearing is being held concerning the 2008 Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program through ADECA, to conduct a drainage improvement project for Country Lane, White Oak Village and Horizon Place. He introduced Diane McClellan of East Alabama Regional Planning who is conducting the public hearing. She stated she submitted a grant last year for the same project for the same cost and that the purpose of this public hearing is to hear public comments. The purpose of the program is to assist the low and moderate income neighborhood. The ceiling is $500,000.00 and the match for the city is l0%. The deadline for submitting the grant is May 15, 2008. She stated the City did not receive the grant last year because there was not enough money, and the City should know around September or October if they will receive the grant for the drainage improvement. The ditches will be concrete with fencing. Mayor Calhoun asked if anyone would like to speak for or against the project. Jana Monday, CDG Engineers stated that she submitted additional funding for this project also. Discussion followed.
- Mayor Calhoun stated that the clerk opened bids for the sewer pump for the Vivian Lee Maddox Sports Complex, and only one bid was received. Hokes Bluff Construction had a bid of $36,384.00. Bobby McCartney moved and Bryan Stone seconded the motion to award the bid to them. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented an ad for a golf sign for the Southside Girl’s Softball team in the amount of $l00.00. Lloyd Matthews moved and Bobby McCartney seconded the motion to purchase the ad. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented an ad request from the Gadsden Times for the Chocolate Festival, ¼ page for $700.00. Cora Kelly moved and Bryan Stone seconded the motion to purchase the ad. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun stated that he received the paperwork for the Recreational Trail Grant and signed it. Jill Albert is preparing the bid specs.
- Mayor Calhoun stated that the following is a roster of voluntary fireman for insurance purposes: Audy Irvine, Gary Murray, J. D. Smith, Allen Overby, Jeremy Steward, Dan Peck, Pat McCleod, Eric Buckner and Patrick Huselton.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a 10 year solid waste plan from the Etowah County Commission for the county and the cities located within the county. This plan is mandated by ADEM. The share plan cost for Rainbow City is $l,140.47. Bryan Stone moved and Cora Kelly seconded the motion for the Mayor to sign the paperwork and pay the city’s share. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a recommendation from Chief Potter to purchase two (2) vehicles from the State Bid List. These two (2) vehicles will be Ford F-150 full size pickups with four doors. The price for these vehicles is $17,442.66. The funds for these two (2) vehicles will come from the fire district monies. Cora Kelly moved and Bryan Stone seconded the motion to purchase these vehicles. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a request from Chief Potter to send out bids for a medical response vehicle to replace the current 1997 International that has 67,976 miles on it. The funds for this vehicle will come from the Fire District monies. Cora Kelly moved and Bryan Stone seconded the motion to send out bids and close the bids April 14, 2008 at 2:00 p.m. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun stated that Ben Greene, Police Officer resigned effective March 26, 2008. Cora Kelly moved and Bobby McCartney seconded the motion to accept his resignation. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun stated that Jennifer Goosdy of the Etowah County Special Olympics requested a $500.00 donation. Lloyd Matthews moved and Bobby McCartney seconded the motion to grant this request. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Lloyd Matthews moved and Bryan Stone seconded the motion to have the City Attorney draw up a fee schedule for burying dead animals, and a liability clause that relieves the City of any liability. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Cora Kelly stated that the Easter Egg Hunt was a big success and thanked the fireman and all who helped.
- Mayor Calhoun stated that the City needed to come up with a name for the new Industrial Park. Discussion followed. Bryan Stone moved and Lloyd Matthews seconded the motion to name it Deerfoot Park No. 2. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
There being no further business to come before the Council at this time, Bryan Stone made a motion to adjourn.
Time Adjourned: 7:00 p.m.
Barbara T. Wester, City Clerk/Treasurer
Terry John Calhoun, Mayor