The City Council of the City of Rainbow City, Alabama, met in regular session at City Hall at 6:30 p.m., and upon roll call by the City Clerk, Barbara T. Wester, the following members answered present:
Terry John Calhoun, Mayor
The same constituting a quorum of the City Council, the following business was transacted.
- The meeting was called to order by Mayor Calhoun.
- Invocation was given by Cora Kelly.
- Mayor Calhoun led the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the minutes of August 11, 2008 and Special Meeting of September 2, 2008 for review and asked if there were any corrections, additions or deletions. There being none, Bryan Stone moved and Cora Kelly seconded the motion to approve the minutes as presented. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun stated the contract for cleaning city hall expired July 8, 2008, and needs to be bid every three (3) years. He stated bids will be sent out and opened September 22, 2008 at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers.
- Mayor Calhoun presented Proclamation No. 08-06, declaring the week of September 17-23, 2008 Constitution Week. Kris Cornutt made a motion to adopt the proclamation. Lloyd Matthews seconded the motion. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented an application from Dana Loconto for a Restaurant Retail Liquor License for Center Stage. Bryan Stone moved and Lloyd Matthews seconded the motion to approve the license. Mayor Calhoun asked if there was any discussion. If not, all who approve say aye. He declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented an application from Betty Thornton and Michelle Boatwright for Restaurant Retail Liquor License for the Fuzzy Duck. Bryan Stone moved
and Lloyd Matthews seconded the motion to approve the application. Mayor Calhoun asked if there was any discussion, if not all who approve say aye. Bobby McCartney voted no. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a recommendation from the Planning Commission to accept Victoria Lane as a city street for Court Barber. Lloyd Matthews made a motion to accept the Planning Commission’s recommendation to make this a city street. Kris Cornutt seconded the motion. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- Mayor Calhoun presented the following monthly departmental reports: Building, Library, Police and Community Center. He asked if the Council or Department Head had any comments. If not, let the records show that the reports were presented.
- Mayor Calhoun presented a memo from the Court Clerk, Kaye Farley stating that her certification training would be October 8-10, in Tuscaloosa and is a requirement to maintain her certification. He also stated Judge Stover will be attending a Traffic Court Seminar in New Orleans, October 14-18, 2008 and the funds will come from the Court Corrections Fund. Judge Stover will cover any other expenses such as travel and food himself.
- Kris Cornutt stated that September is National Library month, and it would be a good time to get a library card. He also stated that he has spoke to citizens concerning the Street & Sanitation Department and they all have good comments about these two (2) departments.
- Bryan Stone stated that he hopes to have the budget ready to adopt by the first meeting in October.
- Bobby McCartney stated he also had a lady tell him recently what a good job the Sanitation Department is doing. He also said bids were sent out to get lights put up at the Vivian Lee Maddox Sports Complex, but no bids were received, so a bid has been negotiated with Butler Electrical Contractors for $48,640.00. Bobby made a motion to accept this bid. Bryan Stone seconded the motion. Mayor Calhoun declared the motion carried.
- David Mitchell appeared before the Council concerning his business license. Discussion followed.
There being no further business to come before the Council at this time, Bryan Stone made a motion to adjourn.
Time Adjourned: 7:17 p.m.
Barbara T. Wester, City Clerk/Treasurer
Terry John Calhoun, Mayor